The Big Bang

In his breakthrough book ‘A Brief History of Time,’ Stephen Hawking wrote that:

…if we do discover a complete theory, it should in time be understandable in broad principle by everyone, not just a few scientists. Then we shall all, philosophers, scientists, and just ordinary people, be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason – for then we would know the mind of God.

Well, scientists in Switzerland are trying very hard to figure out the mind of god. God, in this scenario, represents the mysteries of the universe. The universe whose origins we can now only speculate about.

What existed before the Big Bang and was it a catalyst for the Big Bang? This is the question theists and others often ask ‘atheists’ or scientists who support the Big Bang theory. It is not an easy question to answer, because we were never there in the beginning and we could only speculate about the beginning.

Well, as of today (March, 30, 2010), Scientists in Geneva, Switzerland have made a major breakthrough in physics, by successfully smashing protons head on using a Large Hadron Collider(LHC).

Scientists have had the particle accelerator for sometime now (15 years), but getting it to generate enough energy force to accelerate the speed of protons was not easy. Apparently, the key was containing all the energy into a small enough space to cause the protons to explode.

The experiment took place within a 17-mile [closed] tunnel, and the accelerator was operating at 7 TeV (teraelectron volts–a measure of energy). The CERN scientists suggested the accelerator is only operating at half its capacity, but hope to get it to operate at its full potential soon.

So what is the purpose of this experiment? Is it to show off or play god? Well, as is the case with intellectuals, the purpose is to seek knowledge. Scientists estimate that approximately 4% of the subatomic particles (matter) in the universe is visible. The other 96% is classified as ‘dark matter’ and ‘dark energy.’ No one knows what dark matter and dark energy is. By simulating a ‘mini’ Big Bang, scientists hope to study the aftermath in an effort to figure out the composition of the other 96% of matter.

Scientists want to find the Higgs-Boson particle also nicknamed the ‘God particle.’ It is supposedly the particle responsible transforming raw energy into matter.

So, could be finally know the mind of god?

Before anyone gets too excited, we have a long way to go before we can truly know the result of this proton smash. And, along the way, we have to be mindful of accidentally creating black holes.

Advertisements

About TCDH

Blogger with an opinion.
This entry was posted in Media, Science-tech. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s